Who is Christina Hendricks?
Christina Rene Hendricks (born May 3, 1975) is a famous American actress and model. Christina Hendricks is best known for playing Joan Holloway in AMC’s Mad Men, a role for what she earned six Emmy Award nominations. However, since the end of the period drama in 2015, the Knoxville, Tennessee-born actor has been keen to spread her wings, and her latest role is as one of the leads in female-driven heist comedy, Good Girls.
She was trained as a ballet dancer from the age 9 to 19.
She started acting at school and went into modeling from 18 to 27. In early 20s, she also began appearing on television, landing a recurring role in Beggars and Choosers (1999) in 2000 and another on Kevin Hill (2004) before getting famous to international fame in Mad Men (2007). As well as her more famously conventional awards nominations (Emmys) and wins (SAG Awards) she also won a SyFy Genre Award in for “Best Special Guest/Television” for her role as Saffron in Joss Whedon‘s short-lived Firefly (2002).
Hendricks, born in Knoxville, Tennessee. Her mother, Jackie Sue (née Raymond), was a psychologist. Her father, Robert Hendricks, worked for the United States Forest Service and was from Birmingham, England. Through her father, she got dual citizenship, USA & UK. Her family moved several times because of her father’s profession, and Hendricks spent her early life in Portland, Oregon, and Twin Falls, Idaho.
When Hendricks was a teenager, her family relocated to Fairfax, Virginia, where she attended Fairfax High School. According to Hendricks, when she was bullied in high school and described herself as an outcast and a goth. Over there, she appeared in a competition for the cover page of Seventeen Magazine at the age of 17 and moved to New York city at the age of 18.
Hendricks is a natural blonde from early age and began coloring her hair at the age of 10, inspired by the book Anne of Green Gables. She also plays the accordion like her character Joan in Mad Men.
In a snapshot:
- 1975 -Born in Knoxville, Tennessee, U.S.
- 1999- Started her first Television appearance with “UNDRESSED” as Rhiannon
- 2007- First appearance in Film with “La Cucina” as Lily
- 2009- Married to Geoffrey Arend.
- 2010- She was voted Best Looking American Woman by Esquire magazine.
- 2011- Ranked #33, FHM Australia list of “100 Sexiest Women in the World”.
- 2011- Ranked #82, FHM list of “100 Sexiest Women in the World
- 2011- Ranked #87 in Men’s Health 100 Hottest Women of All Time
- 2012- Ranked #89 FHM list of 100 Sexiest Women in the World
- 2013- Ranked #14 on AskMen’s list of the top 99 “most desirable” famous women.
- 2010-2015- 6 times nominated for Grammy award acting for Mad Men
Hendricks began acting in children’s musical theater productions in Twin Falls. She was a model from the ages of 18 to 27. She made her first television début in the MTV anthology series Undressed as Rhiannon. Her first starring role was in Beggars and Choosers as Kelly Kramer for altogether 19 episodes. Some of her great works are as follows:
- 1999- Undressed (as Rhiannon), worked for 4 episodes
- 2000- Angel (as Barmaid), worked for the episode The Prodigal
- 2001- Beggars and Choosers (as Kelly Kramer), worked for 19 episodes
- 2001- Thieves (as Sunday), for the episode “Casino”
- 2002- ER (as Joyce), The Court (as Bersy) and The Big Time (as Drummond)
- 2003- Firefly (as Saffron), worked for 2 episodes
- 2003- Miss Match (as Sarah), Presidio Med (as Claire) & Hunger Point (as Hunter)
- 2004- Kevin Hill (as Raye) worked for 22 episodes
- 2005- Cold Case (as Legs) worked for the episode Colors
- 2006- Jake in progress (as Tanya), Las Vegas (as Connie)
- 2007- Notes from the underbelly (as Holly)
- 2008- Life (as Olivia Canton), worked for 4 episodes
- 2007-2015 Mad Men (as Joan Halloway), worked for 80 episodes
- 2011- Body of proof (as Karen), American Dad (as Naydern in voice)
- 2015- Another period (as Chair), worked for 17 episodes
- 2015- Rick and Morty (as Unity in voice)
- 2016- Hap and Leonard (as Trudy), worked for 6 episodes
- 2017- Tin Star (as Elizabeth), worked for 9 episodes
- 2018- Robot Chicken (as various voices)
- 2018- Good Girls (as Boland)
- 2007- La Cucina, role played as Lily
- South of Pico, role played as Angela
- 2010- Leonie, role played as Catherine
- Life as We Know It, role played as Alison
- 2011- The Family Tree, role played as Alicia
- All-Star Superman, role played as Lois Lane
- Detachment, role played as Sarah
- Drive, role played as Blanche
- I Don’t know how she does it, role played as Allison
- From up on puppy Hill, role played as Saori
- 2012- Ginger & Rosa, role played as Natalie
- Struck by Lightning, role played as April
- 2014- God’s Pocket, role played as Jeannie
- The Pirate Fairy, role played as Zarina
- Lost River, role played as Billy
- 2015- Dark Places, role played as Patty Day
- 2016- Zoolander 2, role played as Seductress
- The neon demon, role played as Roberta
- Bad Santa 2, role played as Diane
- 2017- Fist Fight, role played as Miss Monet
- Crooked House, role played as Brenda
- Pottersville, role played as Connie
- 2018- The Strangers: Prey at night, role played asCindy
- Egg, role played as Karen
- Candy Jar, role played as Amy
Throughout her career, Christina Hendricks achieved some extraordinary stars in her basket that some others might never be able to achieve to can look like the way she did.
- 2006- SyFy Genre Awards for Best Special Guest/TV for Firefly.
- 2008- Screen Actors Guild Award for outstanding performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series for Mad Men
- 2009- Screen Actors Guild Award for outstanding performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series for Mad Men
- 2009- Outstanding Actress in a Drama TV series for Mad Men
- 2011- Critics Choice Television award for Best supporting actress in a drama series for Mad Men
- 2012- Critics Choice Television award for Best supporting actress in a drama series for Mad Men
Also, she was nominated for 6 times for Primetime Emmy Award for acting in Mad Men.
One of the most stylish actresses, natural blonde having dyed her hair since she was 10 years old. Ranked as having one of the most “beautiful famous faces” by “The Annual Independent Critics List of the 100 Most Beautiful Famous Faces from Around the World.” She was ranked #10 in 2010 and #21 in 2009. Ranked #87 in Men’s Health 100 Hottest Women of All Time (2011) which represents her real beauty and quality.
By 2013, she was ranked #14 on AskMen’s list of the top 99 “most desirable” famous women.
Hendricks has been credited as having an ideal shape for a woman by British Equalities Minister Lynne Featherstone, who praised her perfect age covered figure as an ideal shape for women, saying “Christina Hendricks is absolutely fabulous… We need more of these role models within our entertainment sector. There is such a sensation when there is a curvy role model. It shouldn’t be so unusual”. Los Angeles Times television critic Mary McNamara says her portrayal of Joan has revolutionized perceptions of beauty on television. She has been called the “new modern ideal of Hollywood glamour—full figured, voluptuous; a throwback to the days of Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell and Veronica Lake“. Hendricks commented in September 2010 that today’s any media is too much focused on women’s bodies and not their actual talents, “I was working my butt off on the show [Mad Men] and then all anyone was talking about was my body”. A study by the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons attributed a 10% rise in 2010 of the number of British women receiving their breast augmentation surgery by Hendricks’ influence of her beauty. Although she “breaks every healthy rule” by eating salty and creamy foods, she tells one of a renowned magazine that she’s started working out for the first time after all critics. “I was having cappuccinos every day!”.” I would take my clothes off in front of the mirror and be like, ‘Oh, I look like a woman.’ And I felt beautiful, and I never tried to lose it, ‘because I loved it”, that’s what she also mentioned.
Few unknowns about Hendricks
- She loves knitting cable knit sweaters
- Her favorite movie is the original Fame.
- Campfires are her favorite smell. She adores the smokiness that leaves on her clothes.
- She was trained as a ballet dancer from ages 9 to 19.
- She is not in any social media platform.
- She is terrified and fascinated by whales.
- She is obsessed with making Spotify playlists because it satisfies the frustrated DJ in herself.
- She always likes rose flavored drinks and any dessert.
- Her favorite TV shows are Fleabag and Broad City.
- She got a very old fashioned hobby of collecting antique lamps.
- Her mother was a hypnotherapist.
- She loves to dine out by herself and watch people moving around.
- She always dreamed of visiting India. The colors, smells, music and architecture seem magical to her.
- She had a dream of her own flower shop, surrounding by flowers all the day.
Lessons from her life
A complete winner never cares about what others are talking about. She only knows about what to do for best output and how to complete a great work. Christina Hendricks, the name of a lot of good words, good times and fame, broke the laws of a lot of bad words towards her body and also achieved a number of awards that put her one of top part of viewer’s mind. Just like the way she said in a magazine, “I know that when I play Joan and she’s going to react a certain way, I have to remember that she can only behave this way because the men at work wouldn’t want her to act this way, or it’s only appropriate to act this way, or a lady would do this. It’s become so natural to me to look at the scripts of Mad Men (2007) in that way that I immediately almost become a woman of the 60’s in my mindset.”
Also, she got a lot of beauty awards and critics also, when she also commented as “I don’t think any woman in the world could get tired of being compared to Marilyn Monroe.”. She knows how to respect her to get the best respect from after her.
For some good works and also some gifts, Hendricks will always do her best and will show the real value of her beauty along with all those hard works. A complete blonde who achieved all good words, from her beauty and completeness we will get more and more from her.. today, and far future also….
Read More Celebrities bio:
If you want to know about celebrities bio and their updates? you can visit Celebrityping. Here you will get all celebrities information, Alan Tudyk, Ashley Johnson, Bernie Mac, Calista Flockhart, Christina Hendricks, Dafne Keen, Emily Wickersham, Eva Ekeblad, Freddie Prinze Jr, Jessica Barden, Jessica Henwick, Joan Cusack, Josh Hartnett, Juan Gabriel, Kaitlyn Dever, Kathryn Hahn, Katie McGrath, Ksenia Solo, Laura Haddock, Lauren German, Lea Thompson, Loni Anderson, Lori Loughlin, Lucas Till, Maika Monroe, Maitland Ward, Markie Post, Matthew Gray Gubler, Olga Kurylenko, Phoebe Cates, Phoebe Snetsinger, Rebecca Romijn, Rene Russo, Robin Williams, Theo James, etc.