Godzilla: King of Monsters (2019 film)
Godzilla: King of the Monsters is an upcoming American monster movie directed and co-written by Michael Dougherty ( is an American film director, producer, and screenwriter, known for his work with Dan Harris on the scripts for Bryan Singer’s films X2 and Superman Returns. He’s also known for writing and directing the cult horror film Trick ‘r Treat. On October 28, 2013, at a special screening, it was announced to the surprise of the audience that a sequel will be produced by Legendary Pictures. He also directed, co-wrote, and co-produced the horror/comedy Krampus (2015)). This film is a complete sequel to another hit movie Godzilla that released by 2014 and will be the 35th film in the Godzilla franchise, the third film in Legendary‘s MonsterVerse, and the third monster Godzilla film to be completely produced by any Hollywood studio. The film stars with Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga, Millie Bobby Brown, Bradley Whitford, Sally Hawkins, Charles Dance, Thomas Middleditch, O’Shea Jackson Jr., Ken Watanabe, and Zhang Ziyi.
It was in talk of a complete Godzilla sequel began prior to the release of the first film in 2014. The film was officially announced in May 2014, with original director Gareth Edwards (director) expected to return. After Edwards left the project in May 2016, Dougherty, who had been hired to write the screenplay with Zach Shields, was named as the film’s director in January 2017. Much of the cast signed on in the first half of 2017, and principle photography already began in June of the same year in Atlanta and lasted until last September.
- Kyle Chandler as Mark Russell: Emma’s ex-husband. He joins a rescue mission along with Dr. Serizawa and Dr. Graham to save Emma and Madison.
- Vera Farmiga as Dr. Emma Russell: A paleobiologist working for Monarch who is kidnapped, along with her daughter Madison, by a “mysterious organization, with their own plans for the creatures.” Farmiga has described her character as being a “DJ for the monsters”, stating, “She has figured out a way to communicate with the creatures and potentially control them using their bioacoustics on a sonar level.” She described the film being about “saving the environment.”
- Millie Bobby Brown as Madison: The daughter of Emma and Mark Russell. She is kidnapped, along with her mother.
- Bradley Whitford as Dr. Stanton
- Sally Hawkins as Dr. Vivienne Graham: A scientist working for Monarch as Serizawa’s right-hand.
- Charles Dance
- Thomas Middleditch as Dr. Henry
- O’Shea Jackson Jr. as Barnes: A chief warrant officer.
- Ken Watanabe as Dr. Ishiro Serizawa: A scientist working for Monarch.
- Zhang Ziyi as Dr. Chen
Tagline: Let them fight!
Release date: May 2019
The new story follows the heroic efforts of the cryptozoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of good sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient superspecies, thought to be mere myths, rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity’s very existence hanging in the balance. They fought to finish either the existence or the history.
Principal photography of the film began on June 19, 2017, in Atlanta, Georgia under the working title Fathom. Dougherty confirmed that the film would feature practical effects and creature designs by Tom Woodruff, Jr. A casting call confirmed that the film will feature Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah. Lawrence Sher has been confirmed as director of photography. Parts of the film were shot in the Historic Center of Mexico City between August 19–22, 2017. Dougherty already announced as the film had wrapped production on September 27, 2017.