Who is Matthew Gray Gubler?
Matthew Gray Gubler who was born on March 9, 1980, is a multi talented American actor, filmmaker, fashion model and painter. He is very best known for his role as criminal profiler Dr. Spencer Reid in the CBS television show Criminal Minds (2005–present), of which he has also directed eleven complete episodes. Matthew Gray Gubler is also an Emmy award winning actor, from Las Vegas Nevada. While studying film directing at NYU, he interned for Wes Anderson who gave him his first feature film role as Bill Murray’s loyal intern “Nico” in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004).
Gubler has also appeared in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, (500) Days of Summer that released by 2009, Life After Beth that released by 2014, Suburban Gothic that released by 2014, Newness, and as the voice of Simon in Alvin and the Chipmunks and its three sequels.
For more than eleven years Gubler has starred as the lovable genius Dr. Spencer Reid on the internationally popular crime drama, Criminal Minds From 2005 to till now.
In 2014 he won an Emmy for his participation in Drake Doremus’ mini series The Beauty Inside (2012).
Gubler was born on March 9, 1980, in Las Vegas, Nevada, he is the son of Marilyn , a rancher and political consultant, and John Gubler, an attorney. Gubler is a high school graduate of the Las Vegas Academy of International Studies, Visual and Performing Arts, where he majored in acting as he found some acting skill inside and also because the school did not offer his first choice which is filmmaking. He is a graduate of New York University‘s Tisch School of the Arts, where he majored in film directing, not on acting.
Gubler always divides his time of job, acting, producing and directing among Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and New York City. In 2009, he dislocated his knee while was dancing. The injury required three surgical procedures for him to be cured and the use of a cane to walk properly for nearly a year, which was written into the script of Criminal Minds.
On October 27, 2014, Gubler became a certified minister and officiated at the wedding of his Criminal Minds co-star Paget Brewster and Steve Damstra, on November 29, 2014.
He told about his dating” I’m a great dater! I don’t go on a ton of dates, but when I do, I try to make dates really spectacular. Perfect date: I’d pick her up with Sam Cook playing on the radio in my car, driving with the windows down and the heat on, then go to maybe a museum like the Museum of Jurassic Technology in Los Angeles or the Neue Galerie in New York, walk around aimlessly in Central Park, go to a dinner somewhere great. New York is probably the best place to go on a date. And if at any point it’s terrible, you can hail a cab and run! I joke!”
About his love
He always falls in love with wonderful people and people that can’t be replicated or don’t show any fake things. They are completely unique individuals, and those people are really rare and you can’t let them go without making any kind of relationship. You gotta be friends with them forever because if I’m going to date someone, it’s a real big thing for me to be comfortable first as if someone is not much great level, it’s tough to continue. It means that I feel that we’re tied together for life, whether they like it or not! Kat is marvelous. She’s one amongst the funniest people I know and such a talented actress, a brilliant mind, a warm-hearted person, and I love her and her family. I met her a long, long time ago—it was at the start of my show. Being on a show like this is not conducive to having a real life because for those first five years of Criminal Minds, we were easily doing 15-hour days. But we were always close, and now that she’s on a show, I feel like she understands! We did a movie, Suburban Gothic, together, and that was one of the best experiences ever in our life. To make a movie with people you’re dialed in with in real life also is the closest thing to being in a band of yours and with someone. It’s so nice to have a creative force that you can create something better together than alone, and that’s what it was like working with her.
In a snapshot:
- 1980 -Born in Las Vegas, Nevada
- 1994- His Brother Gray Gubler born 1994
- 2004- His first film released “The Life with Steve Zissou”
- 2005- His Television Appearance started with Criminal Minds
- 2002- graduate of the NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts, where he majored in film directing.
- 2014- He became a certified Minister.
At the time he was making The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Gubler made a documentary titled Matthew Gray Gubler’s Life Aquatic Intern Journal, a behind-the-scenes view of the making of the film, which was later included in The Criterion Collection DVD release. He has directed and starred in a series of self-deprecating mockumentaries (or docucomedy is a type of movie or television show depicting fictional events but presented as a documentary) named Matthew Gray Gubler: the Unauthorized Documentary in which he parodies Hollywood behavior and culture of the movies, which are filmed while on the set of Criminal Minds. A follow-up Matthew Gray Gubler: The Authorized Documentary was also made, although only one episode is currently available, as he said he is too busy to make the later ons.
Gubler, who directed the Criminal Minds season 5 episode “Mosley Lane” (5×16), which originally aired March 3, 2010, along with the episode “Lauren” (6×18), which aired a year later on March 16, 2011. The episode “Lauren” included the exit of Criminal Minds series regular Paget Brewster (is an American actress, voice actress, and singer. She was first recognized for her recurring role as Kathy on the fourth season of the NBC sitcom Friends. Her breakthrough role came as Special Agent Emily Prentiss on the CBS crime drama Criminal Minds, on which she appeared regularly from 2006 to 2012 and has since returned to for guest appearances before returning regularly in 2016) , who always maintains a friendship with Gubler outside of work on the show. Brewster specifically asked Gubler to direct her last episode, although it was announced later that she would return for season 7.
Painting as a talent
Gubler, as and actor and director, also posting a lot of paintings in his personal website since 2005. Most of the time he tries with watercolor, gouache, oil, and pastel. In September 2005, the Gallery of Fine Art in Ostrava, Czech Republic, held a showing of 12 watercolors by Gubler; all the works were sold straight before show closed. On September 6, 2008, his art was featured in a group show entitled “Paper Cuts” at The Little Bird art gallery in Atwater Village, California. Gubler contributed a painting of “Sandy The Mammoth” to the Western Heritage Museum & Lea County Cowboy Hall of Fame. In July 2010, his paintings were featured in Juxtapoz ( is a magazine that was created in 1994 by a group of artists and art collectors including Robert Williams, Fausto Vitello, C.R. Stecyk III (a.k.a. Craig Stecyk), Greg Escalante, and Eric Swenson).
In October 2011, an original watercolor by Gubler entitled “Mushface” was sold at auction site eBay for a total of $10,100. Gubler donated the proceeds to the Smith Center for the Performing Arts in Las Vegas for upcoming arts people.
Gubler’s paintings were highlighted in a 2013 interview with BuzzFeed.
While he was at NYU film school, Gubler was discovered by a model scout and then worked as a model with DNA Model Management for Tommy Hilfiger, Marc Jacobs, and American Eagle, among others. He was ranked 46th on models.com list of top 50 male models that time.
Other great works
He has provided the voice (as a voice actor) of Simon the chipmunk in the wildly popular Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007) film franchise and recently voiced the Riddler for DC comic’s animated film Batman: Assault on Arkham (2014).
As of 2015, Gubler has directed 8 episodes of Criminal Minds, a behind the scenes documentary of the making of “The Life Aquatic,” two music videos for “The Killers,” videos for “Whirwlind Heat,” and “Soko,” as well as a fake mockumentary entitled Matthew Gray Gubler: The Unauthorized Documentary (2006) which lampoons his behavior behind the scenes on “Criminal Minds” as he has done a lot for the series.
His Film appearances:
- 2004- The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou as Intern #1
- 2006- RV as Joe Joe
- 2007- Alvin and the Chipmunks as Simon Seville (Voice)
- 2008- The Great Buck Howard as Russell
- 2008- How to Be a Serial Killer as Bart
- 2009- 500 Days of Summer as Paul
- 2009- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
- 2010- The ugly life of a Beautiful Girl as Ziggy
- 2011- All Star Superman as Jimmy Olsen
- 2011- Scooby-doo! Legend of the Phantosaur as Winsor
- 2011- Magic Valley as Mok
- 2011- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked as Simon Seville
- 2012- Excision as Mr. Claybaugh
- 2014- Life after beth as Kyle Orfman
- 2014- Suburban Gothic as Raymond
- 2014- Hot Air
- 2014- Batman: Assault on Arkham as Edward
- 2015- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip as Simon
- 2015- Band of Robbers as Joe Harper
- 2016- Trash Fire as Caleb
- 2017- Newness as Paul
- 2017- 68 Kill as Chip
- 2018- Zoe
His Television appearances
- 2005- Present- Criminal Minds as Dr. Spencer Reid for 286 Episodes (till now)
- 2011- Celebrity Ghost Stories as by himself
- 2012- The Beauty Inside as Alex
- 2016- @midnight as by himself.
Other works by Matthew
- 2005- Claude: A Symphony of Horror as a Director
- 2005- Matthew Gray Gubler’s Life Aquatic Intern Journal as Editor, Producer, Director
- 2005- The Cactus That Looked Just Like a Man as Producer, Writer and Director
- 2006- Matthew Gray Gubler: The Unauthorized Documentary as Producer, Writer
- 2006- Reagan as Director
- 2007- Don’t Shoot Me Santa as Director, Editor, Co-Producer
- 2005- Criminal Minds as he is acting, producing and directing also.
- 2015- Dirt Sledding as the Director of the music video
Trivia about Matthew Gray Gubler
- He is a 2002 graduate of the NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts, where he majored in film directing, not acting.
- In early age, he has also worked as a model for fashion designers as Marc Jacobs, Burberry, Tommy Hilfiger, Sisley, and Louis Vuitton.
- He is the grandson of Laura and Maxwell Kelch–the founders of Las Vegas’ first radio station, KENO.
- Has stated that on the season one dvd features of Criminal Minds (2005) that his kiss with his guest star Amber Heard was his first on-screen kiss and.
- Famously damaged his knee in 2009 during a dance off with his 500 Days of Summer (2009) co-stars Geoffrey Arend and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in a Mexican dive bar while they were shooting for the movie. He couldn’t walk for over four months. After a third surgery, Gubler started using a cane but was unable to walk normally for the next five months. As of December 2009, Gubler was once again able to walk unassisted.
- Hosts his own awards ceremony at Criminal Minds (2005) called the “Goobie Awards”, where he presents awards to the crew for such categories as Best Facial Hair and Craziest Accent.
- He Is a huge fan of Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope that released in 1977.
- His favorite TV Show is the HBO Series Carnivàle that aired on 2003.
- His favorite Director is Wes Anderson (His successful films are Rushmore (1998), The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004), The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) and an animated feature, Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009). The latter two films earned Anderson Oscar nominations)
- He is a huge fan of comedian Andy Kaufman (He took comedy and performance art to the edges of irrationality and blurred the dividing line between reality and imagination)
- In 2014 he won an Emmy for his participation in Drake Doremus‘ mini series The Beauty Inside.
- He is of Swiss-German, German, English, Irish, Manx, Scottish, and Dutch ancestry.
- On October 27, 2014, he finally became a certified Minister. He officiated the marriage of former Criminal Minds (2005) star Paget Brewster and best friend Steve Damstra II on November 28, 2014.
- He never wears any matching socks, as he says that they are bad luck for him, which he learned from his grandmother. The one time he wore matching socks, he was filming a scene in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004). He ended up spraining his ankle on screen, which was kept in the movie.
- ‘Matthew’ is an English form of Hebrew name “Matityahu”, meaning “Gift of Yahweh”.
- Also and accomplished painter, Gubler is known for his vivid and expressionistic portraits of people, animals, and imaginary monsters. Once upon a time one of his painting was sold for $10,100 in ebay.
Some of his personal quotes
- I just love entertaining. I will do anything – stand-up comedy, video games, fencing, internet shorts – I just want to keep being lucky enough to entertain people anyway I can. I try never to limit my art to a medium.
- I get very little sleep. But I try to stay constantly busy. My fear is that if I stop working I’ll, like, die. So throughout my life I’ve always tried to remain busy, and I sort of know no other way. I think if my heart rate slowed it would affect my constitution, strangely. I’ve been trained to do that.
- I really cite Walt Disney as teaching me everything I know. It sounds crazy, but I’m serious! In ‘Bambi,’ the mother dies, but you don’t see the corpse. You see the father, the stag, come up and you see ‘Bambi’ alone, and that has so much more impact than seeing a mutilated deer.
- I found out that smoking is the leading cause of statistics.
- I get really sad when people say, ‘I’m no good. I haven’t been cast in a pilot.’ It doesn’t mean you’re not good; it just means someone hasn’t seen you yet. It doesn’t mean that in real life you’re not the greatest actor.
- I’ve always had the utmost respect and awe of what the lens can do and what a director can do with just a camera move.
- I never thought I’d be making a living off of acting – it’s still kind of a shock for my family and friends to see my face on TV every Wednesday night.
- My best advice to actors is if you love acting, do it every chance you get. Success does not mean success. All that matters is whether or not you’re doing your best to entertain. The way this business works is all about luck and timing.
- My parents instilled a very strong work ethic in me from a young age, fortunately.
- Tisch has a great film program and a great acting program, but they are segregated; you don’t really intertwine. My peers knew I liked acting, so they’d be like, ‘Go get that guy Gubler. He’ll be in your student film.’ I was in the same building. I became their go-to guy. So I left NYU having been in probably one thousand short films.
- I studied directing prior to acting and I’ve done music videos and documentaries and things that were sort of well-received.
A multi talented guy with a skillful knowledge, became successful with all his own talent and a human networking for which he became a good friend of some famous minds. By following his every footstep, one can become just like him in his own life.
Read More Celebrities bio:
If you want to know about celebrities bio and their updates? you can visit Celebrityping. Here you will get all celebrities information, Alan Tudyk, Ashley Johnson, Bernie Mac, Calista Flockhart, Christina Hendricks, Dafne Keen, Emily Wickersham, Eva Ekeblad, Freddie Prinze Jr, Jessica Barden, Jessica Henwick, Joan Cusack, Josh Hartnett, Juan Gabriel, Kaitlyn Dever, Kathryn Hahn, Katie McGrath, Ksenia Solo, Laura Haddock, Lauren German, Lea Thompson, Loni Anderson, Lori Loughlin, Lucas Till, Maika Monroe, Maitland Ward, Markie Post, Matthew Gray Gubler, Olga Kurylenko, Phoebe Cates, Phoebe Snetsinger, Rebecca Romijn, Rene Russo, Robin Williams, Theo James, etc.